Thursday, July 24, 2008

You Are a Teacher, Part 3.

In the last two posts I covered how you are a teacher to others and yourself. Today, I am going to narrow the focus a bit and talk about the most precious of students, our children.

There is always a lot of talk about creating a more harmonious world, one where peace and love rule. A place where we want to raise kids to be better citizens. Well, if that is true then we have to realize that it all starts at home.

Kids are a blank slate so the only way they can learn hate, prejudice, violence, deceit, bad attitudes, worry, deviance and anxiety is by example. Whether it is from the people they are in direct contact with or the almighty boob tube, it has to be learned.

So how is your home life? Do you show love and compassion? Are you honest and happy? Is it a calm, peaceful, serene place? Do you value service to others? Do you have a positive attitude? Are you a caring, kind and considerate? Do you tell your children that you love them? Are you encouraging them to play, create and explore? Is acceptance and tolerance taught? Are you flexible, patient and open?

Sure parenting is a tough thing, probably one of the toughest things you will ever do but it is so full of joy and priceless rewards that nothing can replace it.

The beautiful thing is you are not alone, ever. Everyone has someone they can turn to for support. Be it family, friends, mentors or social service organizations, there is always someone willing to lend a hand.

As a parent myself, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that there were times where I had no clue what I was doing and I know that I made some mistakes when raising my daughter. Overall, everything I did, I tried to start from a position of love and when I did that it all seemed to fall into place. Our soul instinctively knows what to do.

Even if your own childhood was not the best, you can still be a good parent. You have a choice as to how you are going to raise them. Just like any other thing you will choose throughout your lifetime, you can choose to be an involved, positive parent and raise a loving child.

My own father was an alcoholic and just never there, so I grew up essentially without a father. Now, I had two choices when I became a father, I could choose to be like him or not. I chose to be the exact opposite and I can say that it has worked out very well. I have a lovely daughter!

I'll sum this up with one of my quotes from my presentation, "The ABC's of Life".

"Children are the canvas on which is painted the next generation."

No comments: