Thursday, July 23, 2009

Taking care of you!

"Love yourself so that you may love others. Nurture yourself, so that you may nurture others." - Harry Shade

One of the things I find to be utterly important, especially for those in what I call the helping fields, but anyone in general, is that we take time for ourselves. We need to care for ourselves to be able to care for others.

We are usually doing things for others and so we do not take time to ensure we are well. But if we are not in top form, how do we expect to give our best to others? If we are not our best we cannot possibly give our best to others.

I know what you may be thinking. "I feel guilty when I do things for myself." I cannot take time for me, when I have all these responsibilities." "I feel like if I am not taking care of my family, then no one will."

Well, first of all guilt in all shapes and forms must be removed from our lives for it really serves no purpose other than to stress us out. Secondly, we do not need martyrs. What is needed are people who can care for others because they have cared for themselves.

We cannot be any good for others if:

We are sick!

We are tired!

We are stressed!

We are depressed!

We are depleted!

We are not our best!

So, we must take the time to ensure we are healthy and well. That way we can be at our best and give our best to the world around us.

We must then:

Eat healthy.

Get regular physical checkups.

Exercise our mind and body.

Feed our soul.

Listen to our bodies.

Get plenty of sleep.

Nurture ourselves.

Learn and experience new things.

Hydrate our bodies.

Make time to get away.

Declutter and destress.

In this way, we will be at our best and so will be able to give our best. Once again, this is not a selfish but rather a selfless act.

What are you doing everyday to nurture YOU?

"If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." - Micky Mantle

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. I am honored that you would do so. Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments on this subject.

May you be blessed always and in all ways!

Harry
Author - Rare Sense, One day It Will Be Common
harry@raresenseunlimited.com
http://www.raresenseunlimited.com/

No comments: