Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Empowering Women, Part 2


There are several areas where I have tried to make a difference by empowering women in my own community. I have always known that the place where you can have an immediate and profound impact is right in your own backyard.

Before I go any further I want everyone to understand, especially the men, that by empowering the females in your life, you are helping them to be the best wife, friend, mom, business woman, sister, aunt, cousin, girlfriend and woman that they can be, which will not only have a positive impact on your life, but on the world in general. I am talking about an equality and harmony of souls, so that together we can make this world the best it can be.

It is my hope that through sharing some of what I do, it will give forth ideas on how you can find ways to empower the people in your community and your life.

"Embrace and love all of yourself - past, present, and future. Forgive yourself quickly and as often as necessary. Encourage yourself. Tell yourself good things about yourself." - Melody Beattie

First if all, in my own immediate family. My daughter is 18 now and all through her childhood years I did everything I could to encourage and support her in her activities. I often pointed out that she could do or be anything she wanted as long as she put her mind to it and put forth the effort. I empowered her by never limiting her on things she wanted to try and always being there to provide guidance and coaching. We had many a "serious" talks during the car rides to and from school and not too long ago she pointed out to me that those were some of the most fun times we had together. I taught her to have big dreams and lofty goals and how to work towards those things. I taught her that the only limits were the ones she placed on herself. I celebrated her victories and comforted her in her defeats.

"Think in terms of what's good for the other person and success will seek you out." - Mary Kay Ash

I also tried to lead by example by not limiting my dreams and goals by going out on a limb and starting my own business. While I am not talking all the credit for how she has turned out, I can say that she is a loving, caring, determined, hard working, compassionate, young woman with a very bright future ahead of her.

"I never lose sight of the fact that just being is fun." - Katharine Hepburn

Next, would be my beautiful bride. A few years back, Tammy came to me and said she would like to finish her degree. I knew it was something she really wanted and so I supported her wholeheartedly. She went back to school and during that time I did everything I could to ensure that she did not have to worry about the domestic things, so she could concentrate on school. Well, she not only graduated with her degree but did so with honors. You could not have found a more proud husband on her graduation day and she accomplished something she had always wanted to do.

"Success means that we go to sleep at night knowing that our talents and abilities were used in a way that served others." - Marianne Williamson

As a basketball coach for a Junior High girls basketball team I sit them down just before our first practice and tell them that they will be learning about life and that basketball is just a byproduct. Then throughout the season we have our "life lesson" sessions where we talk about teamwork, dedication, determination, passion, vision, etc.

"One's philosophy is expressed in the choices one makes." - Anna Eleanor Roosevelt

We do exercises like: 1. goal setting; 2. Writing down something nice about each of their teammates, which I compile and give to each of them and 3. defining words and how they relate to basketball and life. I also hand out inspirational quotes and encourage, encourage, encourage.

"It never occurs to me that there are things that I can't do." - Whoopi Goldberg

I know the importance of women having positive male role models and so I do my very best everyday to be that role model. And so what are you doing to empower the people in your life?

Well, that is all for today.

May you be blessed always and in all ways!

Harry

No comments: